This is a Walk To Remember

That I'll die living just as free as my hair.

I Gotta Feelin'

I Gotta Feelin'
_____________________________________________________
Can't catch me now.

About Me

My photo
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Aloha~Je t'aime~Love~ Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Beautiful. Life status: Drum roll... and wait. I'M A UNIVERSAL RECIPIENT, BABY. Melted cheese cubes are my thing. Itchy...itchy... I don't want to sound like a nerd, but I love sonnets, poetry, AND reading! Give me a good book and I'll finish it in a day. Reading makes the world go round! Hey, I could be Shakespeare number two one day. I also like posting up blogs! Yeah, yeah, I have no life. And yet I do like another thing. Chorus and rehearsals, yeah! I hate rock music though. End of story. I also don't know anything about Jedi and/or his warriors in Star Wars? So...wanna press rewind? This is my blog. Later, gators, I'll be doing the crocodile rock!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Weekly Blog Post: Prom

Prom by Laurie Halse Anderson


Spoiler Alert!
          This book, Prom is a really nice book that brings you into the eyes of a troubled teenager. You're going to see how her problems are small little things, but these little problems could create a lot of trouble. That made me think about how the smallest things in life are actually the biggest and they matter the most. Anyway, Ashley (the main character) has to deal with these problems which are family, friends, and going your own way. I see family and friends as the small problems in the book, but they lead to the big problem: going your own way. For me, that's the case too. I want to be my own person, following my own road and not what my family or friends want me to do.

          Ashley's family and friends basically decide her future in this book. She's not going to college, she's moving in with her boyfriend, and she's going to get a crummy job. Her family decides that they'll support her and Ashley will live in the basement. I love how in the end, Ashley chooses something very different from her starting point. You can actually see that she wants to choose her own choices along the way just like most of us. For example, probably most of our parents want to get into a good school/college then get a very, very, high-paying job. I hate that and I can see Ashley hates that too. I don't want to stick with one plan for the rest of my life; I want to choose for myself. I still wonder why some people stick with one plan... What would you do? I mean, I want to have a really unrealistic job, but I'm still following my own road no matter what anyone says.

          Going your own way helps Ashley solve her problems. At first, she hated the prom, she kind of wanted to move in with her boyfriend. In the end, she went to college, she moved in with her best friend, Natalia. I like how in this book, it actually shows a teenager going through changes all the time. Because most of our parents expect us to stay the same and follow their goals, but it's what they want, not want we want. It's about how we're supposed to make the choices, not our family or friends. It's our life, so do you want to have your own choices?

          I truly love this book because of it's theme and colors.

2 comments:

  1. good job =) you seem like you can really relate to ashley in the book. i totally agree with what you are saying, how its your life you should live it how you want. the part where you said how people think that there small problems are just going to go away but really the smaller problems seem to be the bigger problems. i like how you explained the siuation that ashley is going through. i just wantto know how you woud deal with ashleys problem if you were in her shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And yeah, we would probably all pick really different ways if we had a choice in life.

    ReplyDelete


A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.

Followers