This is a Walk To Remember

That I'll die living just as free as my hair.

I Gotta Feelin'

I Gotta Feelin'
_____________________________________________________
Can't catch me now.

About Me

My photo
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Aloha~Je t'aime~Love~ Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Beautiful. Life status: Drum roll... and wait. I'M A UNIVERSAL RECIPIENT, BABY. Melted cheese cubes are my thing. Itchy...itchy... I don't want to sound like a nerd, but I love sonnets, poetry, AND reading! Give me a good book and I'll finish it in a day. Reading makes the world go round! Hey, I could be Shakespeare number two one day. I also like posting up blogs! Yeah, yeah, I have no life. And yet I do like another thing. Chorus and rehearsals, yeah! I hate rock music though. End of story. I also don't know anything about Jedi and/or his warriors in Star Wars? So...wanna press rewind? This is my blog. Later, gators, I'll be doing the crocodile rock!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Weekly Blog Post: The Problem With Paradise

The Problem With Paradise by Lesley Dahl 


          This book is so amazing and I absolutely love it. For one, it can actually relate. And for two, it's a dream land that you can crawl into when you want to escape the real world. This book tells a story of responsibility, appreciation, and making new friendships. These themes are so simple and versatile, but it actually makes our life what it is. That's why I love this book so much.

          Responsibility is such a big problem in this book and it makes up the book. I like this because responsibility is a part or problem of our lives too. Whether it's doing the chores, doing homework, not being late to class, responsibility practically control ourselves. It controls this book too. Casey (the girl that is supposedly in Paradise) has a lot of responsibilities like taking care of her two little brothers to protecting them and her friends in a hurricane. I love this about Casey because I can really see me as her and probably so can all of the world's teenage population. Responsibility is important and I've learned that in so many ways from the book. Casey has so much jobs that she has to do that it makes me think of myself in this world. Do I have to tag around my two younger siblings? Do I have to protect a bunch of kids in a big storm during an emergency? That makes me think about how although having a lot of responsibilities is unfair since some people have less responsibilities than others. Another theme actually comes from that and it's that life is life and there will be ups and downs.

          Responsibility then leads to appreciation. You see, if I was sent to a tropical island in the Bahamas for the whole summer, I would love it. But Casey doesn't even like it. That makes me think of Casey as a bratty and selfish person. It's not even her not wanting to go that makes me think she's acting like a brat, it's the reason. And what's this fantastic reason? She doesn't want her brothers to be bothering her and she doesn't want them to tag around her. Is it just me or does that seem really selfish? She's spending her vacation in the tropics and she's complaining. Her parents have to fish out money to buy plane tickets for all 3 kids. I just wish Casey could think more about her family than herself in that that kind of situation. I really think that Casey is rude when she says her ''civilized life'' will end in Paradise. I feel as though Casey is really distant from her family and the ones she loves the most, but hey, family will be family.

          Friendship is a theme in this book as well. It's mainly about how friends should help friends. I love that theme because well, most friend's do not help friends. I like how Casey actually makes friends in Paradise, but there's some problems as well. One problem is judging people and finding the right friends. Casey finds some bad friends and some good friends, but I like that too. It's like seeing who your true friends and not just keeping the bad friends. Casey helps so much of her friends in this book and I just wonder what I would do in that kind of situation. It also makes me think about how friends are the ones that we live by and they are always there for us, so we should be there for them too. This theme is just so beautiful.

          This book has so much simplicity in it, but it makes a huge impact to me and probably every reader out there. Don't forget to bring along your sunblock when you're reading this book!

4 comments:

  1. HOW ARE YOU SO GOOD AT WRITING BLOG POSTS?!?!?!?

    (i wish i was that brilliant)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. raven, what exactly did you find interesting? try to start a dialogue here!

    ReplyDelete


A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.

Followers